Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Homeward Bound

Hello all.

This will be my last blog post from Hong Kong, as I return to the states on May 20. The last few weeks have been very busy for me. At the end of April/ beginning of May, I took a train from Hong Kong up to Beijing. The train ride was 25 hours each way, and was absolutely worth it!

I loved seeing Beijing. I was able to go to the Summer Palace, the Temple of Heaven, the Forbidden City, Tian’an Square, the Great Wall of China and see the Olympic sites. It was absolutely amazing. (There are pictures posted on my photo site). My favorite was probably the Summer Palace and the Temple of Heaven. I loved seeing the Great Wall too, but it was thunder storming out on the day we went so it wasn’t exactly the best day to be outside climbing around, but regardless, it was absolutely breathtaking. The wall is “great!” hehe.

I also learned quite a bit about the Chinese culture as opposed to the Hong Kong culture—very different. I didn’t expect them to be, but they were. It was definitely a great trip.

After returning from Beijing, I had a number of projects to turn in and a final to take. The week before last consisted of exams, studying and projects. However, as of last Thursday, I am finished with school (for a whole year!). I am pleased with my Hong Kong courses and what I have learned academically. However, I can’t even begin to grasp what I have learned outside of academics. Outside of the classroom I have learned more than I could have imagined I would have. I have met amazing people that have guided me through my adventures and have enhanced my experience here in Hong Kong. My study abroad experience has been an experience of a lifetime and I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to spend time on this side of the world. I will miss it dearly.

In my last few days, I will spend time with the friends I have made here and I’m even heading across the boarder to China one last time. I am very excited to return back to the States and to see family and friends. I have missed you all! I will be in Wisconsin from June 14 until the 23rd and then I will be back again at some point in mid/end of August.

I report to duty in Sacramento California on October 6th.

Life has opened up a lot of opportunities for me at the moment and I am so thankful and grateful for these opportunities. The Lord has watched over me and has kept me safe throughout all of my adventures and he has also given me the best family and friends. Thank you so much for all of your support during my trip abroad. Some days were very trying and I am thankful for all of the cards, phone calls and messages that cheered me up when I was homesick.

I look forward to seeing you again,

Xoxo,
Cassie

No comments: